Stress management is an important concern for employers and employees alike. WIth a multitude of projects and deadlines on the go, de-stressing tips have to be quick and easy, or they fall by the wayside.
A little bit of desk yoga is a quick an easy way to solve a few problems:
- helps keep your blood circulating
- helps fight off post-lunch comas, brain fogginess
- helps improve efficiency at work
- gives the brain a break from sticky problems through increased blood flow – which can result in discovering a better solution, faster!
- stretches out tight muscles and joints, such as the lower back, neck and shoulders
- gives you a break from staring at a computer screen or being on the phone for too many hours.
Remember to breathe through each pose and instead of counting time, count 5 or 6 really deep breaths and wait until you feel your muscle relax and lengthen. Go gently and take your time.
Drink water, as hydrated muscles respond better to movement, than dehydrated muscles. The bathroom breaks will be an added bonus.
Try these simple moves at your desk when you need a quick break. And don’t worry about people wondering what you’re doing, they’ll likely be jealous that they’re missing out on the benefits and want to join in!
(Download this article and it’s images in our Le Physique Desk Yoga handy-dandy one page chart!)
- Stand in front of your desk with your hands flat on the surface, toes 3-4 feet away
- Bending at your hip, imagine trying to get your head ‘below’ your shoulders
- Keep arms and legs straight
- Breathe comfortably
- Hold for about 4 deep breaths
- Sitting tall, bend one leg so your foot rests on your other knee
- Gently push your bent knee towards the floor.
- Hold for 30 – 45 seconds.
- Perform stretches 1-2 times each side.
- Ensure your chair is immovable.
- Start with your hands on your chair, in a pushups position
- With straight arms, gently lower your hips, keeping your glutes tight
- Lengthen your spine and breathe
Get your Le Physique Desk Yoga chart here!